The program “food.opendata.ch” launched by Opendata.ch aims to make the food system more transparent, sustainable and innovative by
1. building a publicly available base of nutrition data
2. fostering the development of innovative and value adding solutions
3. strengthening the use of open data for entrepreneurial and societal purposes
Every year creative, entrepreneurial and scientific projects in the area of food and nutrition data that came to live during one of our Hackdays are selected and supported on their way from the first idea to market readiness by providing new open data, intense coaching, mentorship and financial support.
The future of food concerns us all!
At our «Open Food Data Hackdays» we invite engineers, designers, agricultural and nutrition experts, entrepreneurs and students to jointly develop new solutions for a transparent and sustainable food system based on open food data. We strongly believe that collaboration and cross-disciplinary teams are key to innovation and problem solving.
What can I expect?
During the event, participants
1. pitch challenges & project ideas
2. form teams of 1-6 people (you are free to work on what you care about)
3. hack during x hours to develop prototypes
4. ultimately present their results
What have you achieved so far?
You can find a list of the last Hackdays winner further down and all the challenges & results of our last Hackdays on our project platform:
What guidelines do you have?
1. Our hackathon is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable environment and a harassment-free experience for everyone. This is why we ask all participants to follow our hacking guidelines.
2. (Obviously) everyone retains the rights to anything they created. Waiver: no one will exercise any rights of exclusivity.
3. All participants are encouraged to submit their results under a recognized open source license.
4. We also encourage you to give credits too all team members: include all those who have somehow contributed to the project
Why should I join?
– First of all: Hackdays are always fun! Here are a few quotes of past participants to help you imagine what it’s like to participate. 🙂
– Work with like-minded, brilliant & multidisciplinary team members on a project idea you care about.
– Learn about new food datasets, challenges & solutions.
If you want to get informed when our next Hackdays come up, please sign up for our newsletter.
In order to raise awareness about and encourage the usage of
open food datasets we gather an overview of datasets being worked
on by our community at Datacentral, where they are being
curated and packaged using Frictionless Data standards.
Are you wondering why you should open up your API or data?
Here are a few examples of startups, projects and companies
that greatly benefitted from opening up.
If you know about a dataset that is missing on the list or you publish /
manage food data, which you want to make available, please get in touch.
With Food Matters ingredients left-overs from recipes will be a problem of the past: the app allows you to easily figure out a cooking plan over a specific time frame that uses all the ingredients you bought.
Forgetting food in the fridge is a common cause of foodwaste. BEAT reminds you before your food expires and provides you with recipe-recommendations based on your inventory. Beat the Foodwaste!
The following projects were sent to the last round at the international
incubator Masschallenge and are currently being supported by Opendata.ch:
Helps nutritionists to provide faster and better advice to their patients. See project overview
Helps individuals achieve a healthier lifestyle with personalized food recommendations. See project overview
Helps restaurants foresee the amount of clients and orders to save resources. See project overview
The following projects were incubated by Opendata.ch over almost 12 months:
Foodimmune is an application, that keeps you stay healthy with traditional medicine food. You are what you eat. See Final Report FoodImmune
With our project, we aim to illuminate the story of the meat you buy in store and make meat buying more personal. See Final Report MeatStory
Tool that helps connecting individuals who are seeking for healthier food to restaurants. See Final Report NutriMenu
Jarvis is here to help you for your groceries ! He’s smart, kind and neutral, he won’t judge you. See: Final Report Jarvis
Open Receipts turns your food receipts into actionable data: calories, allergies and more. See: Final Report Openreceipts
All the projects and prototypes presented and developed at our Hackdays can be viewed on our community platform, linked below:
“Unterstützung für Food-Tech Projekte” (Startupticker)
“Le hackathon alimentaire fait recette à l’EPFL” (ICT Journal)
You have data, knowledge or infrastructure to share? You are interested in what this is all about? Please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you want to stay tuned about our activities, projects and datasets? Sign up for our newsletter!
The Opendata.ch Food Working Group
is a part of the Opendata.ch association.